Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse

Author Topic: How do you experience pure awareness?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How do you experience pure awareness?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
What is the benefit of doing exercises such as this? I just about manage to get on with day to day life, so how would something like this change my life for the better?

I wouldn't know how to explain the way it helps me, neither can I guarantee that it will change your life for the better. However, it is an extremely liberating experience from what I remember, so it's worth a shot!

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
Surrender. Surrender your ego. The ego. Surrender. Surrender it.

I've tried that before actually. I surrendered my ego and let go of any 'hold' over my physical self. It was quite relaxing the first few times I've attempted it. However, now I always find that my attention travels to my breath. If I let go of the focus, I end up holding my breath, which actually calls for more of my attention than before -- so I don't really know how to work my way around that. Thank you so much for the suggestion, though!

Offline Desideratum

• Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 848
  • Now I am Power Attractor! WOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
Whenever you say 'I' want to experience pure awareness, that is your trigger to stop. Pure awareness exists when 'you' STOP trying to experience anything. Remember that 'you' CAN NOT EVER experience pure awareness. The 'you' that you have been ignoring actually IS pure awareness. To 'experience it, to be in it, here are a few things that can point the way.

1. Sit comfortably, like in meditation, close your eyes and be aware of awareness. Don't think about what that means, just do it. As thoughts arise just go back to being aware of awareness.
2. A tip given by Douglas Harding, as you sit there (not in a meditation format, just sitting there) looking out of your eyes, look BACK into the place from which you are looking out. So, as you look around the room, simply shift your attention/awareness back into the space that you look out from. Sounds goofy or nonsensical, but trust me, it will show you something.
3. Self inquiry, you mentioned this, go back and try it again. Ask yourself "WHO" wants to experience pure awareness. Follow that path. Keep asking until you realize something about your'self.

4. And lastly, if you are interested, there is one practice I recently learned that does something in this regard, that is Wujigong. There are many versions, mostly subtle differences, but find an older version of the exercise and learn it. Its a chi gong, for lack of a better term, but not really. It violates many of the Taiji principles, but it does something powerful. You can really get in touch with the silence that is at the core of your being. Learn this and practice it. Its hard to remember at first, but not difficult to do, and it is quite enjoyable ... and powerful!

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »
Thank you for your advice, Desideratum! I will give self-inquiry another go, and try out Douglas Harding's exercises since I've been meaning to. As for being aware of awareness, I have also experienced slight shifts in awareness so I'll have a go at that. I think I mentioned this in another reply to a previous poster but my attention sometimes travels to my breath when I try and focus on something else; however, I am working on letting go of it.

I'll also have a look at Wujigong. Thank you again.

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
It sounds to me like you are wanting to disassociate your self with physical materiality. If this is true to any degree then it's about identifying your self with the empty space, or more accurately the energy within the empty space.

To do this, I detach from the ego self by shifting my awareness into different parts of the body, namely the brain or the chest, and then expand my awareness out from there and into the empty space.

Hope this helps.

Hey, apologies for bringing this up again; but I was thinking about this exercise you referenced since I’ve been seeing it quite a bit lately and I was wondering whether you switch to a different perspective, so to speak, when you use it. I mean do you feel like an observer or do you still feel like yourself but with expanded awareness? I was just wondering because I distinctly remember ‘switching over’ to a different perspective when I felt like pure awareness the first time.

Offline Alexbally

• Thank You
  • -Given: 239
  • -Receive: 592
  • At the end of the day, it gets dark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
Hey

Awareness is key, it is everything.
You can try to be the observer as much as you want but you will quickly realise that you are the observer, perceiver and player all in one happy little bundle. You'll always be interpreting the data into tangible information and judgements as this is precisely what awareness does essentially.
Expansion of awareness is the merger of magnetic fields / spirit / soul / aura. Once achieved, will bring a whole new perspective on everything and a shift of mind. It's a bit like swallowing a huge bag of mushrooms and a roll of acid tabs all in the same day, only a bit more permanent.
Empathy and awareness are the 2 biggest factors by a mile.

And please stop apologising for asking good questions.

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
Hey

Awareness is key, it is everything.
You can try to be the observer as much as you want but you will quickly realise that you are the observer, perceiver and player all in one happy little bundle. You'll always be interpreting the data into tangible information and judgements as this is precisely what awareness does essentially.
Expansion of awareness is the merger of magnetic fields / spirit / soul / aura. Once achieved, will bring a whole new perspective on everything and a shift of mind. It's a bit like swallowing a huge bag of mushrooms and a roll of acid tabs all in the same day, only a bit more permanent.
Empathy and awareness are the 2 biggest factors by a mile.

And please stop apologising for asking good questions.

Thank you for the clarification! I think the shift of mind was what I was referring to. I was basically wondering whether you switch perspectives from being the player to being all three, using your method, and now I know I will. Thank you again.

Offline Desideratum

• Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 848
  • Now I am Power Attractor! WOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 12:24:18 AM »
One thing I can say for absolute sure is that if 'pure awareness' or similar is what you are asking about, mind will have nothing to do with it.

STOP thinking and just be. In there you will 'find' pure awareness ... every spiritual master worth his/her salt has and will say the same thing. What ur seeking is already there, within 'you' and resides between thoughts. Just be there in silence and feel it for yourself.

Offline GenieInABottle

• Growing
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
One thing I can say for absolute sure is that if 'pure awareness' or similar is what you are asking about, mind will have nothing to do with it.

STOP thinking and just be. In there you will 'find' pure awareness ... every spiritual master worth his/her salt has and will say the same thing. What ur seeking is already there, within 'you' and resides between thoughts. Just be there in silence and feel it for yourself.

I've been doing something similar these past days, so will continue that but take it a little more seriously. Thanks for your advice!

Offline alexburke

• SpiritualTec.com + SpiritualTec@gmail.com
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 405
  • Innovating & Evolving
    • View Profile

Tags: