Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

collapse

Author Topic: LOA and Addiction....  (Read 226 times)

Online ellu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 16
  • Now I am Power Attractor! WOW
    • View Profile
LOA and Addiction....
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
So lately I've been wondering if we can use loa to get rid of an extreme food addiction. This started with me about a year ago, and it sucks. Luckily I have an extremely fast metabolism so it's not like I'm fat but I just feel gross all the time and I really want to start eating healthy again. I've tried everything from every diet you could think of to trying to make it a life style to getting people to help me but I've become so obsessed that the only one who can stop it is me. Any tips or help?

Online siamesegirl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 876
  • -Receive: 844
  • We are Siamese, if you please!
    • View Profile
Re: LOA and Addiction....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »

Offline Anna1408

• Thank You
  • -Given: 715
  • -Receive: 1289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Well I was on the other side of the coin: I got dangerously anorexic in my teenage years (having been very overweight through adolescence) , but really the underlying feelings that perpetuated it will probably be much the same as yours, and a lot of the symptoms will be similar, too.

I can't say that loa cured me exactly....you have to do a lot of other work too for that. But it definitely did help me in the long run because I would picture myself being "normal", do vision boards, script on it, etc.  If you start to picture yourself as healthy and well, and start to behave as healthy and well, then in time you just can't continue with the old behaviours and you will gradually start to recover.

When I was getting treated for anorexia, there was a woman in my therapy group with much the same problem that you are having. She found a lot of value in reading books by a woman called Geneen Roth. So aside from working directly with the loa, perhaps have a look at those books, too.

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline Colonel Roosevelt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2542
  • -Receive: 2270
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
Meditation helps control cravings.

Get your greens in first, they help to keep cravings for sugar and junk food low.

Intermittent fasting might help too, but it may or may not be right for you, seek professional advice on that.

Honestly, I've struggled to use "real LoA" to change my eating patterns, instead I just changed the way I look at myself and my relationship to food.

A) I started learning more about public health and the fast food industry. I won't stop eating junk food but I'll be eating a little less of it. Once you see all those dirty little secrets, you'll start to be more mindful and scrutinizing of junk when you eat it.

B) I love having lots of energy. I hate feeling sluggish, especially around the 2-5PM slot. So I have more desire and discipline to eat healthier when I feel better from doing it, I feel more energy. I focus on the benefits of the foods I eat and it gets me excited for what's to come...better sleep, healthier skin, healthier immune system, more energy.

C) Test flavors. I love spinach salads, but to keep it from getting bland I'll add red onions, chicken milanese, or cucumbers. Use your imagination, it never has to be boring. As a kid, I hated healthy food, especially salad, it tasted bad and it was boring. But then I really liked a Greek salad I had and it hit me - what I really liked was the tomatoes, olives, feta cheese, and red onion. My parents' salads were mostly chunks of lettuce with cranberries, apples, and walnuts which I didn't like. Even the way you cut things makes them more appetizing. So it's all about experimenting with the ingredients and flavors you like, that's what made it easier for me to stick to eating healthier.

D) Manage stress. I have weird patterns where I'll eat very healthy for a time and then all of a sudden binge on crap. Usually that happens when something starts to stress me out. Working out, affirmations, journaling, meditation, visualizing (to believe in myself) - these helped with stress.

E) What exactly are you obsessed about? Are you obsessed about eating healthier and how hard it is? I think this is where LoA can help a lot - basically start to think of yourself as someone who can eat healthier and love it. Some doubts might come up like maybe you don't have the discipline or eating healthy is too hard, just write those doubts down and then try to shift them, see why they are illusions, find the better feeling thought. "I'm not disciplined enough" -> "I remember one time I was very disciplined and I studied for an exam and did very well, so I know I can become more disciplined now."....."Eating healthy is too hard." -> "I've done hard assignments before and I did well, so I know I'm capable. I know that the more I know about eating healthy, the easier it can be..."

Some advice in this thread might help too: http://www.powerlawofattraction.com/forum/index.php?topic=23034.msg193884#msg193884

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline yesican

• Thank You
  • -Given: 269
  • -Receive: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
This started with me about a year ago,
what happened a year ago? I am sure it didn't come out of nowhere.
I am not sure if I remember correctly: aren't you the one who wants to grow taller in order to become a model?
So, maybe you started dieting a year ago?
Are you an emotional eater?

My experience is, in the long run diets do not work.
And yes, LOA applies here, since this is all about controlling your thoughts and your mind, respectively.
E.g. do you critizise yourself regularly?
Always be kind to your mind, never critizise you for having eaten this or that. Always be kind to yourself. You only make it worse when you beat yourself up ( in case you do this).
Take care of your body. See what Colonel wrote. 

Online ellu

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Thank you colonel for that it was very helpful.

And yesican, well not quite a year ago I wanted to start modeling and I also ended quitting a sport that I burned 1200 calories a day in so ya know I wanted to be extra thin. I don't know what's happening right now. I've been trying to love myself more lately, and I've been doing a great job.... but the thing is, is now I'm being an absolute dick to everyone around me and then I go eat to make myself feel better. Ugh. I'm just so mean on the inside and I don't want to be ;( I know this isn't who I am, I am so much more but for some reason I just won't stop. It's not even the food it's how I'm living. I'm not being healthy. My life isn't healthy therefore I'm not being healthy. I want to stop but almost feel as if it's impossible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:56:09 AM »
So it's basically guilt, you eat crap because you feel guilty and you feel guilty because you treat people like crap. So deal with the root issue. Why are you being mean to others around you?

Offline yesican

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 02:16:47 AM »
yes I see... accept your feelings, Ellu.   
I found something for you that may help

Louise Hay believes that addictive behavior is another way of saying, “I’m not good enough.”  When we engage in compulsive actions, we are trying to run away from both our uncomfortable feelings and ourselves.  Some feelings we have are so painful that we do not want to look at them, so we drink, abuse drugs, overeat, gamble, spend too much money, or any number of other actions which serve to numb our feelings and allow us to escape from reality.

Louise believes that the first step to overcoming what we’ve termed addictions is to acknowledge that there is a need in us to engage in these self-destructive actions.   In order to stop the compulsive behavior, we have to release the need which is underlying it.

Fearful and “Not Good Enough”

According to Louise Hay, the addictive personality is generally a very fearful one.  People who are consumed by their compulsive behaviors tend to be highly fearful of letting go and trusting the process of life (“control freaks,” anyone?).  They often believe that the world is an unsafe place full of people and situations that are just waiting to create stress and pain in their lives.  They also tend to be highly critical and unforgiving toward themselves and may even suffer from acute self-hatred.

People who suffer from addictions never feel that who they are and what they do is “good enough,” so they punish themselves day after day.  The addictions are a way of both punishing themselves and suppressing uncomfortable feelings and memories.  The addiction becomes “the problem” and the person may focus all of his or her energy on that instead of looking at the underlying issues, which are most often related to a lack of self-love and self-approval.

Keys to Releasing Addictions

As with all problems that people experience in life, Louise Hay believes that loving and approving of oneself are the keys in releasing addictions.  Also critical is learning to trust both yourself and the process of life.   

Online ellu

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
Yeah. I agree with that. But the thing is is that for the past like maybe week I have been writing down things I'm thankful for all the time and trying to love myself more. But for some reason I am still mean towards others. They tell me I can't change or I'll never get married or I'll be nobody because I'm mean. But it's frustrating because I AM TRYING TO CHANGE. I really am. I don't know what causes me to be so incredibly mean. Honestly sometimes I feel like I shouldn't be nice anymore because everyone keeps telling me that who I am is mean and selfish etc. so, I'm trying to love myself, but something keeps getting in the way and is preventing me from loving myself, others and my life. Is it my subconscious being afraid to change because of what people are assuming me to be?

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
What do you do that is so mean and selfish?

Online ellu

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
I'm really just a dick to everyone for no reason and my words are so hateful towards my siblings and even my parents for no reason like I act like a fucking teenage brat

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:55:52 AM »
Maybe it's just puberty or those weird teenage mood swings?

Online ellu

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Idk honestly

Offline yesican

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »

People who suffer from addictions never feel that who they are and what they do is “good enough,” so they punish themselves day after day.  The addictions are a way of both punishing themselves and suppressing uncomfortable feelings and memories.

Yeah. I agree with that

So?
you agree, that you constantly critizise yourself and have the feeling that you are not good enough? Not tall enogh, thin enough, nice enough. Your actions do not lead to the results etc...? How do you suppose will this make you feel better?
You hit a core here... work on that

But the thing is is that for the past like maybe week I have been writing down things I'm thankful for all the time and trying to love myself more

and now you want to see results? Ellu, this is is a process and it takes time for all of us . Please read the text!! You did something for 1 week. So what? keep going. It needs persistency. 

Also critical is learning to trust both yourself and the process of life.  

I'm trying to love myself, but something keeps getting in the way and is preventing me from loving myself

I know this. This is just resistancy, fear to change or the wish to procrastinate or whatever..
say to yourself as often as you can, think it, feel it: " I am willing to learn to love myself"

Is it my subconscious being afraid to change

say to yourself: "I am willing to change, it is safe for me to change" as often as you can, whenever you feel there is resistance to change. Also good: "I am willing to let go of my resistancy to change"

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:25:34 AM by yesican »

Tags: